Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pint-sized Penangite Husnia upstages national 100m champion Komalam

The fastest: Women’s 100m winner Zaidatul Husnia Zulkifli of Penang is flanked by runner-up Komalam Shally of Armed Forces (left) and sister Zaidatul Husna as they show off their medals. — Bernama


KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Games (Sukma) champion Zaidatul Husnia Zulkifli pipped national champion Komalam Shally to the women’s 100m gold medal in a thrilling photo-finish in the National Closed Athletics championships at the National Sports Council (NSC) Training Track in Bukit Jalil.

The 20-year-old pint-sized Husnia of Penang and 25-year-old Komalam of Armed Forces were both credited with finishing in 12.04.

Husnia’s twin sister – Zaidatul Husna – took the bronze in 12.08.

Husnia was delighted to have beaten Komalam to the gold medal.

“I won the Sukma gold in Kuantan last year ... and now I’ve upstaged Komalam for the senior gold,” said Husnia.

“I had a good start and ran as fast as I could. I thought Komalam won ... so, I was surprised when they named me as the winner.”

She was, however, far from happy with her time.

“My time today was way off my personal best of 11.91 which I did in the Malaysian Grand Prix at the same venue in April,” said Husnia, who has been named for the Asian Track and Field (ATF) meet in Pune, India, from July 3-7.

“My aim this year is to qualify for the Myanmar SEA Games in December, but I know it’s going be tough because the qualifying mark is 11.69.”

Komalam was pleased with her time, which is her season’s best.

“I lost because of my slow start,” she said.

The men’s 100m final was just as exciting with 19-year-old Sabahan Sebestian Lee Azcona clocking a personal best of 10.67 to pip national 110m hurdles champion Rayzam Shah Wan Sofian, who clocked 10.68.

Mohd Shahmini Azmi of Negri Sembilan was third in 10.74.

Sebestian was clearly surprised with his golden effort as “I was not the favourite”.

“Rayzam was the favourite ... but I edged him over the last few metres. I’m glad that I also improved on the 10.86 which I did in the Negri Sembilan Open in 2009,” said Sebestian.

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2013/6/22/sports/13273968&sec=sports

 

No comments:

Post a Comment