Monday, September 23, 2013

Malaysia bag three golds at Asian Schools meet

KUANTAN: Sprinter Nirosh Kumar Nathan came back from a bad start in the 200m event in the Asian Schools Track and Field Championships to clinch the gold medal at the Darul Makmur Stadium on Friday.
Nirosh stopped the clock in 21.87s to take the gold medal ahead of Thailand’s Natthawut Chuchuai (21.92) and A.A Samith Lakmal (22.00) of Sri Lanka.

Despite the win, his time on Friday was just a bit off his personal best of 21.81 which he achieved en route to winning the gold medal (junior category) at the Thailand Open recently.

“At the start I felt some pain in my groin and I realised that it was not the best start I wanted. I was off the pace with the others entering the bend and I had a lot of catching up to do.

“But upon exiting the bend, I knew I had the speed to catch up and went all out towards the finish line. I have to thank my coach (Tan Kok Lim) for his support ... he really believed in me,” said Nirosh.

He was one of three Malaysian gold medallists in the championships on Friday. The other two gold medals came from the girls’ discus throw and 5,000m walk.

In the girls’ discus throw, Queenie Ting overcame a late challenge from compatriot Grace Wong to take the gold medal.

Queenie only chalked the winning throw in the her last attempt with 38.18m. Grace managed 37.39m for the silver medal while Zhang Jiyou of China settled for bronze with 34.50m.

“There was a bit of pressure as I had only my last throw to get a result. I just focused on it and luckily I was successful,” said Queenie, who has a personal best of 40.99m.

In the girls’ 5,000m walk, Elena Goh let her compatriot Pua Ling En do the pace-setting before zooming past her with three laps to go.

Elena grabbed the gold medal in 26:05.64 while Ling En settled for the silver medal in 26:11.12. Binsy A.M of India took the bronze in 29:14.25.

It was a surpsise win for Elena as she had stopped training last month to focus on her SPM examinations at the end of this year.

“I never thought I would be racing again after the World Youth Championships in Ukraine last month. I was only given notice that I would participate in this meet barely a week ago.

“However, I did my best despite the result being nowhere near my personal best of 25:05 which I achieved in April,” she said.

In the boys’ triple jump, India’s Abdulla Aboobacker took home the gold medal with a 14.88m jump. Malaysia’s Nik Farizal Erman Nik Abdul Hadi settled for the silver with 14.78m while Vinura Lakmal of Sri Lanka grabbed the bronze with 14.64m.  

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Athletics/2013/09/20/Malaysia-bag-three-golds-at-Asian-Schools-meet.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment